The State of Science and Technology and Industrial Research and Development in Canada
Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada (ISED) has asked the Council of the Canadian Academies (CCA) to undertake an expert panel report assessment on the current state of science and technology (S&T), and industrial research and development (IR&D) in Canada. This assessment will be the third edition in the State of S&T and Industrial R&D assessment series.
What is the current state of science and technology and industrial research and development in Canada?
On December 15, 2016, the Expert Panel on the State of Science and Technology and Industrial Research and Development in Canada released the Preliminary Data Update on Canadian Research Performance and International Reputation. This data update is part of a larger project the panel is undertaking to assess the state of research in Canada. The Expert Panel is working on the final report, which is expected to be released in late 2017.
Data Update and Appendices
- Preliminary Data Update on Canadian Research Performance and International Reputation
- Appendices (data on sub-fields available on request)
The CCA’s reports on the state of S&T and state of IR&D provide valuable data and analysis documenting Canada's S&T and IR&D strengths and weaknesses. New data will help identify trends that have emerged in the Canadian S&T and IR&D environment in the past four to five years.
Background on the Series
- In 2006, the CCA completed its first report on the State of Science and Technology in Canada. The findings were integral to the identification of S&T priority areas in the federal government’s 2007 S&T strategy, Mobilizing Science and Technology to Canada’s Advantage.
- In 2010 the CCA was again asked to assess the state of S&T in Canada. The State of Science and Technology in Canada, 2012 updated the 2006 report and provided a thorough analysis of the scientific disciplines and technological applications where Canada exceled in a global context. It also identified Canada’s S&T strengths, regional specializations, and emerging research areas.
- In 2013, the CCA published The State of Industrial R&D in Canada. This report provided an in-depth analysis of research and development activities in Canadian industries and is one of the most detailed and systematic studies of the state of IR&D ever undertaken in Canada.
The Chair of the Expert Panel on the State of Science and Technology and Industrial Research and Development in Canada is Max Blouw, President and Vice-Chancellor of Wilfrid Laurier University. For a complete list of panel members, visit the Expert Panel page.
For further information, please contact:
Emmanuel Mongin, Project Director at 613-567-5000 ext. 284 or email@example.com
For media inquiries, please contact:
Samantha Rae Ayoub, Communications and Publishing Director at 613-567-5000 ext. 256 or